Hello! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving? We did here… too much food, then we followed that with some more food and after we were done, we had a little something to eat. Thanksgiving…. the holiday to be grateful for what you’ve got and gain 10 pounds in the process.
While I know no one is going to lose weight between now and the new year (do you believe it will be 2014 in less than a month!!?), I figured I would put up something that while delicious, isn’t quite a decadent as most of what I post. Still baked, still indulgent but not 4000 calories per bite 😀 By the way however, if you DO lose weight between now and the new year, please go away because I don’t like you anymore. Just sayin’ 😛
I have said before that I love cornbread, though I’m not a huge fan of sweet cornbread. So this recipe was right up my alley. It is mildly sweet (I’ll give an idea for making it a bit sweeter in the recipe, if you prefer it that way), tangy from the blueberries and wonderful warm spread with some butter. You also can’t get much easier than these. Five minutes and they are ready to be baked, so these are perfect for a weeknight bread side.
The baking oil from Boyajian I mention below? I was very kindly sent some of their products and I have to say, I love them. Their citrus oils are about as pure an essence of the real fruit as you will come by; no dilution with alcohol, just the fresh scent and taste of the fruit. You have GOT to try them. Trust me on this.
On a side note, am I the only weirdo who sees a dog wearing sunglasses in the top muffin? Lol.
You know the drill… 🙂
Honey Blueberry Corn Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil (use a good brand such as Boyajian. You can’t get much better than their oils and they are well worth the price
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar (optional; use this if you like a sweeter corn muffin)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 12 ounce bag frozen blueberries ( this makes these chock full of berries. If you’d prefer less, just cut the amount in half)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and either grease 12 muffin cups or line them with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar if using and salt. Stir to mix.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil, honey, lemon oil and egg.
- Pour the liquid into ingredients into the dry ones
- Use a fork to combine, mixing just until combined. Overbeating muffin batter will result in tough muffins with tunnels throughout.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake at 375 until the tops are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of one comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Turn out onto a rack to cool. Best served warm dripping with butter and drizzled with some more honey. 😀
Copyright Notice: From Cupcakes To Caviar images and original content are copyright protected. Please do not publish these materials anywhere without prior permission.