And you and you and you…and yeah, you too, even if you DO drink pepsi. 😀
Just because I love you all… well, maybe not you; you annoy me. But the rest of you are pretty darn cool. Soooo… as I was saying… just because I love you, I made cookies. Quite a few of them. And if you get a plane ticket, book a hotel room
because if you stayed here you’d be clinically insane within three hours so that you can be all comfy, bring your own booze cause what I have would probably bore you and please make sure you have a Scrabble dictionary with you because I am going to force you to play Scrabble with me but no one can touch my Scrabble dictionary because it was my dads…. if you do all of this, I’ll feed you these utterly delicious cookies. I might even be persuaded to make some dinner for you and whip you up a cup of my famous hot chocolate.But you’d better get here soon. I have 2 teenage boys here remember. Plus a three year old. Plus a diabetic husband who shouldn’t be eating cookies but will anyway. I’ll be lucky if I get any of these beauties beyond the four that I hid in a plastic bag deep down in my underwear drawer..
But never fear. Even if the cookies are gone, I’ll still be here to play Scrabble with you. Maybe even a game of Rummy. I love them both and no one ever plays with me. I’m so
depraved deprived and neglected.
Now I was saying something about cookies wasn’t I? Yeah… cookies. I forgot to tell you about them didn’t I? I was so excited over the idea of
new victims whose butts I could kick in Scrabble and Rummy loving friends to play games with that I totally forgot to describe the cookies. So I guess I’ll do that now.
Think chocolate. Think toffee pieces. Then think of a crispy edge with a soft melting center. Last, add in some nutty rich browned butter and you about have it. Can you taste them yet? No? Then go get that plane ticket! Barring that, make these. Right now. You sooo won’t regret it.
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip & Toffee Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, browned to a golden brown color & cooled
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 12 ounce bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag Heath Bar toffee chips (or 4 Heath bars, crushed)
- To brown the butter, in a medium saucepan, over medium heat melt the butter. Let cook,stirring frequently, until it turns a golden brown color. This can take anywhere form five to ten minutes. It will sputter and spit a lot at first then that will stop. Do NOT walk away from this as it can go from yellowish butter to burnt garbage very quickly.
- Pour the browned butter into a large bowl, leaving behind all the solid bits at the bottom of the pot (though if you get some in there it’s no big deal. Don’t worry about it.). Let cool.
- When cool, pour both kinds of sugar into the bowl with the butter. Beat until well mixed.
- Add in the egg and egg yolk, then pour in the vanilla and the cream. Beat on low speed until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and at slow speed (unless you want to be covered in flying flour), mix until you have a cohesive cookie dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the toffee bits.
- Now you can chill for about an hour if you want. The original recipe says to but I didn’t bother and they were fine.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. If you don’t have a silicone mat, please go buy one. They aren’t cheap but oh my, they’re worth it. Trust me on this. The first time you use it, you’ll totally understand. Spray the cookie sheet with baking spray.
- Scoop the cookies up and place about 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown on the edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Do NOT over bake or they will lose that delicious softness and gooeyness (yes, that is now a word). They should be firm on top if you press one lightly but not hard.
- Let cool for a minute on the sheet then transfer over to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Invite people over to play Scrabble and eat cookies. Hide some cookies first.
*found this at about.com and changed it somewhat- since I know there are 9000 versions web wide, I can’t say who they might have gotten it from*
I have a great idea, gather the goodies and clean out the closet. We can lock ourselves in there with a TV tray and enjoy cookies and card games without the other eaters! These cookies have the three kingpins of taste in them- brown butter, toffee and chocolate chips-so I can survive in a closet with them for a long time. Delicious post Janet!
We are buried in so much fog now, I doubt I could fly out!!! I may have to make these for myself and devour them while playing FB Scrabble. Do I dare make them while my Truckin Man is gone? Hmmm… Maybe!
Oh NO you di’int.
And I don’t drink Pepsi. I do have standards. It’s only Diet Coke in this house.
Pinned and ingredients added to the grocery list!
You really must love me, because this is three of my favorite things in one too-good-to-be-true treat:
1) Brown butter makes everything more delicious.
2) Toffee…aka my latest obsession.
3) Chocolate chip cookies are the best kind of cookies!
I need these in my life asap.
I’ll be right over to get my cookies and a glass of milk. 🙂
I will pretend there’s no calories in this. Because I need at least three batches, all for myself.
I had mine and it was yummy 🙂
I have never baked with browned butter, need to get on that! Too bad we are supposed to get tons of snow, and I think the Denver airport is supposed to close due to snow. Otherwise I would be right there!
Guess maybe I could make these tomorrow when we are snowed in? I would like to pay Rummy though (love that game), Scrabble you would kick my butt in 2 seconds (I SUCK)!!
I have a giveaway going on I think you might be interested in!
Oh Yum! Love this recipe.
I just adore this post!!! I laughed the whole time! it sounds like we have mirror lives!
They look yummy
I love you too! At least, I love these cookies, and you made them, so I love you. Wow!
OMG I’ll be there as soon as humanly possible!! These cookies sound incredible plus I’d love a game of rummy or scrabble! This is a great post. YUM!!
This delicious dish + many others I have seen on your blog is the reason why I am awarding you a very special prize – come check it out right here my friend 😀
Choc Chip Uru
you’re killing me with these cookies–they look so good, and I know I couldn’t stop at one!
These cookies look and sound absolutely delicious! I love variations to chocolate chip cookie recipes like this, and will definitely have to try these.
Oh…I see! Great tactic! Distract us with these glorious cookies all loaded with chips and toffee bits just so you can kick our butts in Scrabble! Okay…works for me! Especially cuz of the brown butter! These look awesome! : )
Do you live near Chicago because I am heading there tomorrow and would love some of these babies. They look amazing! I love, love, love cookies.
Janet, I’m coming over and I’m bringing the milk!
Pingback: Colorado Wildfires Bake Sale | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Pingback: Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
I was just curious, before I made these, which by the way look incredible….What kind of cream do I use (heavy cream, cream cheese, coffee cream???) I am a cook illit, lol, so I have to be detailed. Please help!!!!
Hi Liza! You would use heavy cream for these. but if you don’t have it in the house, half and half or whole milk would also work 🙂
Pingback: Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies - takingtimeformommy.com