I have a bone to pick with a few of you. Why you ask? Because if I get fat, it’s your fault. Yep; YOU and YOU and
Even YOU .
All. Your. Fault.
You got me craving bark of some sort… any sort. If I could put the word bark in it, I’ve been craving it. Ok, maybe not tree bark. Or liver bark. Or a bark that’s worse than it’s bite. I don’t want anything that has the word worse in it. I’ll pass on all of those.
So what did I do today? I made two different kinds of bark. Chances are I will not be able to resist them because they are so damn good and I will need to get more fat girl pants.
And it’s your fault.
Aren’t you ashamed?
So, since I know you’re horribly ashamed of yourself, you need to make one or both of these and get fat with me. Then we can go out shopping together for fat girl pants and maybe stop and get some mall food. We all know how healthy THAT is.
Lemon Vanilla Bean Bark
I made this one because I absolutely LOVE anything lemon. My kids will be lucky to get any of this kind.
- 2 bags (11 to 12 ounces) white chocolate chips
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 bag Brachs Lemon Drops, crushed (put them in a ziploc bag and go at them with a meat tenderizer or a hammer)
- 1 tablespoon solid shortening
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract or 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
- Slice your vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds (don’t throw out the bean. Put it in your sugar bowl and in a few days, you’ll have delicious vanilla sugar) and put them in a large bowl with the white chocolate chips.
- Melt the chips and the shortening in the microwave. Use one minute increments, stirring after each one, until the chocolate is melted and liquidy. Don’t over cook it or you’ll end up with a hard lump. Believe me; I’ve done that many times in the past. It’s extremely annoying to put it mildly.
- Working quickly, stir the crushed lemon drops and the lemon extract into the chocolate
- Plop the mixture onto a foil lined, parchment lined or VERY lightly greased baking sheet and spread it out.
- Put in a cold place (I put mine on my front porch) until it is hard. Break it into pieces and eat enough to need fat girl pants. If there is any left, store it in a cool place (front porches work great) in a ziploc type bag.
Rum Raisin Bark
I made THIS one because my favorite candy bar is one I can not find ANYWHERE *sobs*. It is a German one that I got addicted to when I lived in Germany. Many of you probably know of Ritter Sport bars. They can be found at a lot of large grocery stores. The problem is that they don’t seem to ever have the Rum, Trauben, Nuss one and I love it. It is a rum raisin chocolate with nuts. I omitted the nuts because I just wasn’t in the mood but you could probably add about 1/2 cup of chopped hazelnuts to this.
- 1 12 ounce bag milk chocolate chips
- 1 12 ounce bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons solid shortening
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- In a large bowl, melt your chips and shortening in the microwave. Melt at one minute increments, stirring after each minute, until the chocolate is melted.
- Working quickly stir in the raisins and the rum extract.
- Spread on a foil lined, parchment lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Put in a cool place to harden then break into pieces.
- Eat a lot. Go get those fat girl pants. Sob. Eat more for comfort and get involved in a vicious cycle that only a woman could do.
Rum-Trauben-Nuss… oh yeah…
I am loving this! Both of these sound delicious but the rum raisin bark is calling my name!
Jan’s bark is SO much better than anything Ritter-Sport GmbH could EVER come up with… 🙂
Thanks Amy!! If you like rum raisin, you would love this bark. I am having to keep myself away from it do that there will be some left on Christmas.
Russel… as our daughter in law would say, “I WILL cut you” 😛
The term is “shank”, darlin’
Well if it’s partially my fault I guess I’m okay with that since these bark recipes sound pretty amazing! Rum Raisin….yum.
Thanks Sylvie! And yep… partially your fault I now need new fat girl pants 😛 but between, the bark you made and the other ladies made, it’s well worth it 😀
I really don’t know which of these sounds better…but I’m such a lemon person that I’d probably go for that one. Both sound delish and would make great gifts.
Cucina, I had a hard time choosing myself. But as much as I love lemon (and boy, do I love lemon) I think the rum raisin won just because it was more unusual. I hope you’ll let me know what you think if you try either of them 🙂
OK we’ll get fat with you. Especially on that Rum Raisin Bark! It’ll be worth it and we’ll keep reminding ourselves of that come January, right?
Yay! At this rate, we’re gonna have a whole convoy (or would that be bevy… or maybe gaggle? 😛 ) of women going to buy fat girl pants. It’s be a fat girl pants extravaganza!
LOVE that you posted the bark of those who gave you the cravings! Fun and classy of you, Janet! …and lemon bark? GENIUS! That sounds amazing!
Why thank you Ann! And how could I not? They deserved kudos for their wonderful creations.
I will totally buy fat girl pants with you. These barks look amazing, I have never heard of these flavor combinations before. Love it!
Woohoo!!! Another person to go have a fun day buying fat girl pants with! 😛
And thank you Maggie 🙂
Oh twin, I am dying laughing over here in my fat pants. I took today off so I hadn’t seen this yet. Ann let me know I needed to stop by. So glad she did as I was in a crabby state and no longer am. So thank you fellow fat pants girl. Now let’s get to the mall wench and order more bark and coke’s and pepsi’s for the house. Till we get as big as one. (and seriously thank you so much for cheering me up!!!)
I shall make both of these this week in your honor, cuz us big gals gotta stick together. And let’s be honest these just look really good and I want some. xx
Awww, I’m sorry you were in a bad mood. And I’m thrilled I was able to do a small part in helping you change that. Now go have a Coke and a Smile (See? Pepsi doesn’t have any fun slogans like that.) Hugs to you, my loony twin
Also, let me know if you like these!
Yoga pants were invented for this very reason.
YUM!!! I love all chocolate barks…and it’s such an easy way to make an impressive treat! Yours is gorgeous~
I’m sorry people have made you ‘need’ this stuff, but we’re so grateful that you did. The rum raisin bark appeals….put it with white chocolate even more. Hmmmmm
Just added lemon drops to my shopping list! Have to try this, sounds delish 🙂
These are some very unique candy barks. Out of the two the lemon bark has me really intrigued! Glad that bucket is not here, I would be eating and thinking of ways to hit it from others! Well done Janet-I’ll bet everyone loves coming to your house-they can always count on something delicious. Great post.
I LOVE you blog, you are too funny!!! I can not WAIT to try the Lemon Bark….I just finished the pistachio brittle a friend bought last week, so I am looking to make something crunch……fat pants here we come!!!!
This both look delicious, Janet. Though, I can’t usually eat white chocolate (I know, I’m weird), but I would be all over the rum raisin! 🙂
Ugh that rum raisin bark sounds out of this world. I have been trying to suppress my urges to make bark but this is putting me over the edge.
Haha, I second the accusational tone! 😉 Looks delicious, especially the lemon vanilla one 🙂
You surely had your creative cap on with these. And I hear the after Christmas sales are great so finding some “stylish” fat girl pants should be easy.
All of them look delicious! I love the rum raisin one a lot.