I doubt it’s a secret anymore that I have six kids (and eleven cats…and one husband). For the newbies to my blog….ummm…I have six kids. 😛 I think of them as separate batches. There’s my three oldest, all within a few years of each, my next two, also close in age and then my baby, who is only five while the rest are grown or almost grown. I swear; it was something in the water.
For the most part, these are like the back of the bag cookies. The changes are subtle. But they are enough to make this a very different cookie. I lowered the amount of sugar, I added orange zest and extra vanilla and when I have it in the house, I use some Fiori di Sicilia from Williams Sonoma. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that this used three different types of chips? Yep. Semi Sweet, White Chocolate and Butterscotch. All three of these chips go so well with the subtle orange flavoring (and it IS subtle, so don’t worry; it’s NOT a “chocolate/orange” flavor by any means.) and the Fiori di Sicilia, plus they complement each other as well.
This makes a TON of cookie dough, so you can either half the recipe or do as I do when I make them now (since I’m not feeding as many anymore and I’m more careful with how much sweets I keep in the house) and just bake half of the dough andÂ freeze the rest. You can either make preshaped balls of dough, freeze them and then transfer them to ziploc bags or just wrap the full half of dough in heavy duty foil and freeze it that way.
No matter what you do, definitely make these cookies. They are totally fantastic, if I do say so myself. 😀
You know the drill….get to cookin’!
Triple Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia (optional)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 12 ounce bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag butterscotch chips
- 1 bag white chocolate chips
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (you can also do all of this with a hand mixer, but make sure it’s a strong one; this is a lot of dough), combine the butter and sugars. Mix on low speed with the paddle attachment until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, orange zest and Fiori di Sicilia, if using.
- Beat well, until the mixture is well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to blend. Pour into the butter mixture, put on the splatter shield and beat at low speed until the dough comes together in a soft dough.
- Add in the three bags of chips (make sure to snag a few first; quality control and all) and beat on low speed until combined.
- The dough will be soft. Transfer it to another bowl, cover and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 24.
- When ready to bake, either grease your cookie sheets very lightly or use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat ( I love these mats) and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons (or do as I do and use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop. What? I like large cookies! :-P) of dough onto the prepared sheets and bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes or until the tops are firm and golden brown. If making the big cookies, bake for 14 to 17 minutes.
- Let cool on the sheet for one minute, then transfer to a rack to finish cooling.
Copyright Notice: From Cupcakes To Caviar images and original content are copyright protected. Please do not publish these materials anywhere without prior permission.
Love all the chocolate in these, my kind of cookie!!! Lucky kids:)
I love your family-I’m sure it’s crazy but also wonderful 🙂
LOVE cookies, esp. when there’s triple the chocolate!