…Or dessert cake, or breakfast cake, or eat this when the kids aren’t looking cake, or late night snack cake or..well, you get the idea. I mean it has apples in it so it can be for ANY meal, right? So what if the apples are really a can of pie filling and they are surrounded by ooey gooey bits of caramel!
I know I’ve mentioned before that I have never been one to cook by the seasons. If I want Pumpkin Bread in July, I’m having pumpkin bread. If I want to grill out in January, I grill out. Hey, I never claimed sanity. So when I decided to make something appleyÂ (what? Appley is a word… honest it is!) for my husband because he loves apple desserts, I didn’t give a darn that according to blogger standards, the time for apple desserts is in the Autumn. I’m a rebel! A rebel I say!!! Or something like that.
Right away,Â I knew what I wanted to do. I have a recipe from Food.com that I use often for Chocolate Covered Cherry barsÂ that my husband loves. So I played around with it and changed it to apple. I then added a healthy
disgustingly large dose of caramel and a bag of cinnamon chips. I have to admit, this is really good. Not fancy by any means but so darn yummy! It’s moist, filled with apples and caramel and cinnamon chips. The edges are slightly crispy and sticky from the caramel and you never get the same bite twice. this one has apples, this one caramel, this one both and so on. This is a great family dessert and one I know I’ll be making again…probably tomorrow 😀
Caramel Apple Snack Cake
- 3/4 cups butter, room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1 bag cinnamon chips
- 1 bag caramels, cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and then line a 13×9 inch pan with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper well.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs. beat well
- Combine the flour & baking soda in a small bowl. Combine with the butter mixture.
- Fold in the apple pie filling, cinnamon chips and caramel pieces.
- Spoon into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 for about 35 to 40 minutes or until top is nicely golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- This is good warm, served with ice cream or room temp..or cold..or frozen stiff..or boiling hot..or…or..or..
I love apple flavored goodies! These look great!
Thanks Dawn. They were pretty awesome actually 🙂
Caramel, cinnamon chips, and apples – sounds like an amazing combination!
It was Erin, if I do say so myself 😀
Janet…this looks so scrumptious and I am with you….eat what you want when you want it! Breakfast for dinner….pizza for breakfast….apples in February! Apples, cinnamon, and caramel…..a trinity of sorts and this cake looks wonderfully moist! I’m checking on you in July….let’s bake something pumpkin together! : )
Anne, that works for me. You know I’ll hold you to that 🙂 In actuality, doing some sort of Christmas in July thing sounds kinda cool