Today is my one year blog-iversary. Yep; I am a year old today. That won’t come as a surprise to most of you whom I sure often think that I have the maturity level of a one year old. Though truthfully, that may be an insult to the vast majority of one year olds, now that I think about it.
But yep… From Cupcakes To Caviar is one year old today. Now I can get one of those cool widgets that shows recipes from a year ago without the widget looking at me and saying “Whatchoo talkin’ bout Janet? You can’t use this yet.” And yes, in my little world, widgets talk. So do animals, both real and stuffed, my computer keyboard, various fruits and vegetables, my ceramic pigs and my toes. This could be why no one else ever wants to enter my little world. But that’s ok, because going by the above list, I already have tooÂ much damn company for my own good. Oh yeah… and Twinkies. They talk to me. Lots. Usually they just say “eat me… NOW, wench!” and I am so frightened I obey. Twinkies are Demi Gods.
So today for my blog-i-versary, I bring you brownies. No no, not just any brownies. C’mon how often do I do things the normal way? No, these are special “don’t feed them to your kids” brownies. No really; don’t. They have booze in them, on them, drizzled over them. These are a cocktail in fudgy form. I don’t want to be responsible for drunken kiddos.
I was actually rather proud of how these turned out. The brownies are thick, incredibly fudgy and have a nice chewy bite to them (have I mentioned that I love Cooks Illustrated in recent days?) The original recipe came from C.I. with just a few minor changes made by me. But the buttercream frosting and the Kahlua Caramel Drizzle (yes, you read that right. Thank me later) are all me. The Kahlua drizzle is absolutely amazing if I do say so myself. It is thick and chewy and intensely Kahlua-ish (hey, I needed a word! Don’t be hatin’)
But that’s not all. For sticking with me for a year (or in some cases, since you started reading this post because someone told you there was a giveaway… it’s all good) I have a present for you. But to find out what it is, you have to click that “continue reading” link hehehe.To whomever wins this, you will have a choice from two things. I gave away a subscription to The Food Network Magazine and I know that’s popular so a one year subscription to either that or another foodie magazine of my choosing or you can choose a box made up by me with a good assortment of kitchen wares and sundries. It won’t be five bucks worth of cheap stuff I promise. Winners choice. 🙂
To enter the giveaway, you’ll have 4 chances. Comment here just letting me know which winning option you’d prefer and that’s 1 entry, follow me on
Facebook that’s a 2nd chance, follow me on
Twitter for a 3rd entry and last but not least, follow me onÂ Pinterest for a 4th entry. Winner will be decided by Random.Org and the winner will have 48 hours to get in touch with me or I will have to find a different winner. This giveaway will be open for entries until April 11th, 11:59 pm. Please make sure you make each option a separate comment so Random. Org counts each one
Now on to the Brownies. Please make these. You need them. I promise you; you really really do.
Kahlua Soaked Brownies With A Chocolate Kahlua Buttercream & A Kahlua Caramel Drizzle
- 5 ounces semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Kahlua Chocolate Buttercream-
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar (depending on weather conditions etc, may need more or less)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream if needed to thin frosting
- 2 Tablespoons Kahlua for brushing on top of brownies
- Kahlua Caramel Drizzle-
- 1/2 cup Kahlua
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 inch square pan with non stick foil, leaving enough to hang over the edges for use as a lifting handle later. Spray foil with non stick spray. I know; redundant but I like being cautious.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup butter, semi sweet and unsweetened chocolates. Microwave for one minute. Stir to melt and make smooth. If needed put back in for about another 30 seconds to melt chocolate. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, 3 tablespoons Kahlua, sugar and salt until combined.
- Whisk the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture then stir in the flour with a wooden spoon JUST until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, making sure to spread into corners and smooth the top.
- Bake at 350 until it is slightly puffed and a wooden skewer comes out with a little bit of sticky crumbs on it, but no loose batter. Do NOT overbake these. They should take about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for an hour then use the foil to lift them out of the pan. Peel foil down and let the brownies sit until completely cool, preferably overnight. They will cut much easier.
- When brownies are cool, make the butter cream and the drizzle.
- For the drizzle, pour 1/2 cup of Kahlua into a small saucepot. Over medium high heat, reduce Kahlua to a bit less than half. This will take maybe five minutes or so. Don’t cook down too far or you will end up with something that as it cools, is impossible to stir, much less eat. Please don’t ask me how I know this.
- Set the Kahlua drizzle aside to cool. It must be totally cool or it will melt your buttercream.
- For the buttercream-
- Combine all the buttercream ingredients except the cream in a large bowl. Beat well for about five minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.Â Set aside.
- Take the two tablespoons of Kahlua and using a pastry brush, brush it all over the tops of the brownies. Let sit for a few minutes to soak in.
- Cut brownies into 16 small squares. A sharp knife that you run under hot water makes the job easier.
- Pipe or spread the buttercream on top of the brownies. If you have any left over, you know where to find me to thank me for the extra treat 😀
- Using a small spoon, drizzle the Kahlua Caramel Drizzle over the tops of the brownies.
- Serve… or hide them and eat them yourself. I won’t judge.
You are NOT helping my diet. At all. It is bad enough that I have to convince myself NOT to make/eat brownies. But how can I resist ANYTHING Kahlua??? Ohhhh it’s gonna take a lot of willpower…
Or maybe I should just give in. After all, it IS your anniversary :))
To many more years!!!
I am following you on Facebook and Pintrest (feel like a stalker now 🙁 ) And in case you’re wondering, I want to see that option 2 in case I win… you know the one with all the goodies :))
Happy blogoversay! I’m liking this recipe that’s all kahlua-ish but maybe there’s not enough? I might need a little extra in a cocktail glass on the side. 🙂
Kahlua and chocolate a match made in heaven! Happy Blog-i-verary – time goes so quickly whey you’re having fun. I’d pick the magazine subscription 🙂
First, happy bloggiversary!!!
I would take option #2 because I already get Food Magazine!
I follow you on Pinterest!
Following you on Twitter!
Liked your FB Page! (Why haven’t I done all of these things before???)
LOVE the browie recipe… thanks! As for the contest, I already follow you on FB, I don’t tweet and I’m not about to start, so I guess that’s that. I will follow you on PInterest though, just because I’d like to! 🙂
P.S. I almost forgot… a very happy Blogaversary to you!
I wanna win! I wanna win…And I want some brownies!
Happy blog-i-versary!!!! I’d go with the box of surprise goodies. 🙂
I follow you on FB too!
i would choose the kitchen wares surprise box
i am following you on Twitter
Holy sh***, woman, I am seizing with desire. I am not being decent! I… should censor my reaction. I really should. *crazed stare*
Anyways. Ahem. Congratulations!! You’ve created an awesome blog!
Annnnnd I think I’d want the box option, I love surprises!
I already follow you on twitter (kirikiri1) – still the box!
Annnnd I like you on facebook (Kerstin Wolff) – box all the way!
Oh, Janet! Happy Blog-o-versary! I didn’t realize you were coming up on your date! You KNOW I’m a fan of your blog! ….and your toes talking to you is kinda cool!
I already follow you on Facebook – cuz you’re awesome!
I follow you on twitter…when are we setting up that commune with Kim?
….and I follow you on Pinterest! I’ll keep the age thing between us! 29 & Cool…got it!
Happy blog anniversary!
I follow you on Facebook.
I follow you on Pinterest.
Wow! I’m making these … I’ll bet they’re amazing. If I won the giveaway, I’d take the goodie basket from Janet!!! But I’ll only have 2 entries since I do follow you on FB but I don’t Twitter or the other one either … but in any event, I can’t wait to make these! Congratulations on one-year blogging, Janet!!!
Happy Blogiversary 😀
How exciting my friend!!! And you celebrated in full fledged chocolate style – so proud 🙂
Choc Chip Uru
Oh yumm!!! Can’t wait to try these, I love anything that has chocolate and Kahlua, can’t wait to throw some caramel into the mix!!
I would definitely choose the box of goodies. 😉 I think you would have some interesting, must have items in there.
I already follow you on Facebook. 🙂
And I follow you on Pinterest, like a long distance, cyber stalker. Lol!!
Happy blogoversary, sweet friend! This looks like a pretty awesome way to celebrate-chocolate and Kahlua-yum! I am saving this recipe so I can enjoy this sweet indulgence.
Nice of you to do this giveaway, however, I am having a serious space issue. I am looking at a stack of 8 years worth of subscriptions and there is only one closet left in the house that is not shelved and full of kitchen gadgets and utensils. In other words the matchbox house is bursting at the seams. So I will be opting out, but good luck to the entrants-I am sure the winner will enjoy the magazines or the booty of all those kitchen gadgets!
Can you just send me one of these? My birthday was Saturday….perty pleeease 😉
Happy blog birthday!
Happy Blog-a-Versary! It’s been great following your blog, and I look forward to more fun posts to come 🙂 These brownies look great too!
Congrats to you! Your blog just rocks! That’s a hard decision on which prize, but I would go with the magazine. I’ve always wanted it, just never seem to get around to subscribing!
Already following you on FB and Pinterest.
Happy Blogiversary! What an accomplishment.
LOVE your brownies (are you surprised???). And congrats on your anniversary…I so glad to found you and your blog!!! Oh, yeah, I’d be happy to win the Food Network Magazine 🙂
I follow you on FB~
I follow you on Twitter~
I follow you on Pinterest~
Yeah!! Happy Blogiversary to you! We started so close together, mine is in 11 days! I don’t have a fun giveaway planned though 🙁 Brownies look awesome as usual!
I would love a subscription to Food Network Magazine
I follow you on facebook
I follow you on twitter
I follow you on Pinterest
OMG! My mouth is watering… this looks amazing!
Pretty sure most things should be soaked in kahlua…brownies…cake…bread…myself…ok this just got weird didnt it?
Happy Birthday to your Blog! I don’t drink booze much but I do love it in baked goods. Great way to celebrate!
I like on FB.
I follow on Pinterest.
Following you all over the place and I’d choose the magazine. Unless of course half a magazine and half a box of goodies is an option. No? Ok.
Congratulations on your blogiversary, Janet! IsnÂ´t it wonderful to be able to look back and reflect on what youÂ´ve done in a yearÂ´s time? The cake looks superb, too!
Oh, the kahlua-y goodness! The caramel alone is enough to make me swoon. I am sad to say I don’t do Pinterest or twitter, but I always follow your posts on Foodbuzz!
Congrats on your Blogaversary. The brownies are a great treat to celebrate.
Happy Blogaversary Janet! Hard to believe it has ONLY been a year with your delicious recipes ;)! Here’s to many more years! Your brownies sound amazing BTW :)!
Hey, *I* want one of those subscriptions…
Well I’m a few days late, as is the tradition with birthdays in my family, but happy blog birthday!! May you be blessed with many more!
Happy Blogiversary! Love, love, love the Kahlua soaked brownies….Fantastic!!! 🙂
Happy blogiversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀
Yay! Happy Blogiversary! Also, these brownies are to DIE for, yum!
As for which one I’d choose. Erm. Tough call. I think I’d go with the box o’ fun. Because who doesn’t like some surprises?
I already follow you on Facebook
and I also follow you on twitter!
Happy Blogiversary Twin! I adore you my dear. Great brownies, I mean if you’re gonna do it go big or go home.
Hmm, I could have sworn I commented on this already. Alcohol + Dessert = Amazingness. I have made Bailey’s brownies before and they were heavenly, Kahlua sounds like my next adventure! Happy blogaversary!!!
I can’t believe it’s been a year already. Congratulations!!!!!!
These brownies look SO good! I think I may be making these for my birthday “cake” tomorrow! If I were lucky enough to win, I wouldn’t be picky. I think the box could be interesting though. 🙂
I also follow you on Facebook!
And I just started following you on Twitter (even though I still don’t have the whole Twitter thing figured out!)
oh Janet, these sound so insanely awesome, I don’t even know where to begin other than Happy Blogiversary! One year old! Congrats!!!
And thanks for the boozy brownies. These are sooo win.