I love my husband dearly. He is the most wonderful man on Earth in my eyes. He is gentle, kind, loving, funny, has a level of intelligence that puts me to shame and is damned cute too.
Yet, if the Lord had wanted to pick someone more different than myself in the area of food tastes, he couldn’t have found such a man.
I love mushrooms. He says “Ick. Fungus.”
I love sushi. His fish better be baked or fried and with the rice on the side with gravy.
I love milk chocolate. He doesn’t much like sweets (so he says…until I bake) but his chocolate needs to be dark, preferably with orange.
I love steak. He prefers chicken or a hamburger.
I want my hamburger medium rare. His has to be no less than medium well.
I love brussell sprouts and hate carrots. He hates brussell sprouts and loves carrots.
I like ribs. He hates them.
I love fruit and veggies. Other than canned vegetables, getting him to eat fresh fruits or veggies is nigh near impossible.
Years of motherhood and never getting a hot meal has made me almost prefer room temp food. His food must be hot enough to scorch off your taste buds.
But the worst…. the absolute worst (well, other than the not liking sweets thing. That one is hard to handle.) is that my husband, my best friend, the man I will spend eternity with, will not eat chicken wings. Not even one bite. Says there isn’t enough meat on them. I’ve tried to show him the error of his ways with plump juicy wings but he still won’t try them.
Not even these wings I made tonight. Crispy, buttery, redolent of garlic and Parmesan cheese. Simple, easy, yet filled with flavor.
Yet I love him anyway. In spite of these major flaws. Go figure. (Love you darlin’!! <3 )
So please. Make me happy. Make these wings. Eat them. Drip buttery garlicky goodness on yourself. And pity my husband. And pity me… knowing that I had to eat more wings than was good for me due to my husbands stubbornness and poor poor food choices. Sad. So so sad.
*Wipes grease from chin and sobs a garlic scented sob*
Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Wings
- 2.5 lb bag of chicken wing pieces (or just get the drummettes if you’re picky)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup jarred (yes, the “not as real seeming” Parmesan… the kind we all shook on spaghetti when we were kids) Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I used the glass jar kind)
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil.
- Add the 1/4 cup oil to the pan.
- In a ziploc bag, combine the flour, panko, garlic, jarred Parmesan, salt and pepper. Shake well to combine
- Wet the wings. Shake off the excess water and dredge the wings in the bag of flour/panko. Just toss them in the bag and give it a few good shakes.
- Lay the wings in a single layer in the foil lined pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn each wing over to the other side. Bake for about 20 minutes more or until the desired crispiness. I like mine really crispy so I probably have them in for about 50 minutes altogether.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large flat bottomed pan. Add the minced garlic. Stir. Heat until it is bubbly then turn off the heat and just let the garlic infuse itself into the butter.
- When the wings are done, toss them in the butter garlic mixture to coat. Sprinkle with the fresh Parmesan.
- Serve. You won’t have use all the butter mixture in the pan so feel free to drizzle it over the wings but that’s a bit of overkill even for me lol.