My family does. I have kids still at home including a two year old who eats his weight in peanut butter on a weekly basis. To me, peanut butter is that stuff they put in Reeses Cups, Butterfingers and Nutter Butter Cookies. Oh, and a PB&J maybe two times a year. But I’ve never had the obsession with it that many people do. I have other obsessions thank you very much 😀 (cough cough Twinkies and Cheetos)
I have said that I will never make peanut butter cookies and I have stuck to that. They smell ick to me. But I still sometimes make treats with peanut butter for my husband and kids. And with Russ’s kids being here too, it seemed like a good time because I knew there would be no leftovers 😀
I am currently reading the King Arthur Whole Grain Cookbook (yes reading; not scanning; doesn’t everyone do that? 😛 ) and they have a recipe in there for peanut butter chocolate chip waffles. I saw that and knew it would perfect for both my family and the peanut butter loving blog community. This also takes it into the Elvis realm with a banana topping. Now THAT I liked. With a spoon. In my mouth. by itself. YUM! The recipe didn’t call for the following but to up the “OMG” level for everyone I made a chocolate/peanut butter sauce to put on top also.
If you like waffles, or like peanut butter or like chocolate or like bananas, you will like this 😀 As they cooked the whole kitchen smelled like a peanut butter factory lol. The original recipe calls for spelt flour so feel free to sub that if you want. This is a long list of ingredients but very quickly put together.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Waffles
With Banana Cream And
Peanut Butter/Fudge Topping
- For the waffles-
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- For the banana cream-
- 2 large bananas
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- For the Peanut Butter/Fudge Topping
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup hot fudge sauce
- Banana Cream- Mash the bananas in a small bowl with the sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. In separate bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the banana mixture into into the heavy cream and refrigerate until the waffles are done.
- Waffles- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the peanut butter and sugar together until the peanut softens up. Pour in the melted butter.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until well blended and mixture is smooth. Add the milk gradually. The mixture will be very soupy.
- Add the flour all at once and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Set aside to rest for at least ten minutes while you preheat your waffle iron and make the fudge sauce.
- Peanut Butter/Fudge Sauce-
- Mix the peanut butter and hot fudge sauce in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well. Microwave again until mixture is smooth.
- Pour about 1/3 to 1/2 cup waffle batter (depends on the size of your iron; mine took close to half a cup) in the waffle iron and cook waffles until are golden brown. Top with some of the banana cream and peanut butter fudge sauce. This will make about 5 waffles.