A few weeks ago I was contacted by a rep from Hamilton Beach asking me if I’d like to be a Brand Ambassador for them. Being a long time fan of the company, I immediately said yes. I think I had the email answered before the poor lady on the other end even had time to breathe after sending me the offer hehe. It was rather provident also because my poor hand mixer had finally bitten the dust just the day before. It went up in smoke and stinky fumes. All we needed was flames to complete the perfect kitchen apocalypse.
The deal was this- I would receive one of their hand mixers as well as a stand mixer to try out on my own. I was also told that I could offer one of my lovely readers the same deal… both a hand mixer and a stand mixer of your own. Are they awesome and generous or what?! All I had to do was give my honest opinion of the mixers and make a Spring inspired goodie. No pressure to say they were both wonderful unless I felt that way. Well, guess what? I absolutely love them both! Now, I have a stand mixer from that other known company, who shall remain unnamed 😛 and I love it. BUT… it can be a bit bulky and it’s really heavy. Good qualities when I’m making bread or the like. Not so much when all I want to do is make some cookies or whip some cream. The #HamiltonBeach stand mixer has no such issues. I can lift it without getting a hernia lol and it is a workhorse too. The motor isn’t as powerful as the more well known brand but it still does the job just great and is easier to clean being smaller. Plus…. it’s quieter. A DEFINITE advantage in my kid chaotic household. Anything that saves me from noise headaches makes me happy. 😀 This mixer cmes with a dough hook, a paddle attachment and a whisk one, so it’s perfect for just about any job you do.
Now to the hand mixer. I really, really, really love it. Did I mention that I really love it? It has what they call “Soft Scrape” beaters that are coated with a pretty bright red rubber coating. This helps them catch the sides of the bowl so you don’t have to scrape it as much when using it. The hand mixer also comes with a whisk attachment and regular non coated beaters if you don’t want to use the Soft Scrape ones. But the Soft Scrape ones are quite handy. The muffins I made for this had a lot of zest and if you’ve ever used a beater for a recipe with zest, you know it ends up getting caught on the beaters and you have to scrape it off, put it back in the bowl and stir it back in. Rather a pain. But none of the zest stuck to the Soft Scrape beaters. It was all in the muffin batter. WooT!
Trust me… you want to win this combo!
Now onto the muffins. I have a thing for the lemon ginger combo. I use it in tea, baked goods, savory dishes, etc; you name it, I love it. I thought for weeks about what to make for this giveaway and finally settled on this flavor combo. I mean, what better than something I love for a mixer I love, right? And Lemon is definitely a nice Spring sort of a flavor. Citrus always makes me think of warmer weather, even when I use it during the middle of Winter. These muffins are pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. They have a nice tart, but too tart, lemony flavor with a mild bite from the candied ginger and a sweet crunch on top from the sugar. I garnished them with one of my favorite candies ( a gummy candy of course. It’s no secret of my love for gummy candies hehe)… a Lemon Ginger Gummy.
Greek Yogurt Lemon Ginger Muffins
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of two lemons (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract or emulsion
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup lemon flavored Greek yogurt (the blended kind, not the kind with fruit on the bottom)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Sparkling Sugar for garnish
- Haribo Lemon Ginger Gummis for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or grease them.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and candied ginger. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, at low speed on a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the extracts, lemon juice and lemon yogurt, at low speed, JUST until combined.. Stir in the flour mixture; again, just until combined. Don’t over mix this.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with the sparkling sugar if using
- Bake at 375 for about 18 to 22 minutes or until a nice golden brown.
- Carefully remove the muffins from the pan and let cool on a rack. When cooled, cut a small slash in the top of each muffin and push a piece of gummi candy into it. You could also use a small slice of candied ginger the same way or even some candied lemon peel. 🙂
Now! The giveaway!!
Here is the info on what you’ll win if you’re the lucky person picked at random!
SoftScrape™ 6 Speed Hand Mixer with Case-
- Classic styling with brushed stainless steel housing
- Snap-on storage case — no more lost attachments
- Also includes 2 traditional metal beaters
- 300 watt peak-power motor
- Quick Burst™ button
- Bowl Rest™ feature lets mixer rest on bowl’s edge
6 Speed Stand Mixer–
- Same mixing action as KitchenAid® stand mixers*
- Mixing action gives complete bowl coverage
- Powerful 300 Watt motor
- Better mixing than 2-beater stand mixers
- 3 attachments offer mixing versatility
- 6 speeds and special fold setting
- Stainless steel 3.5 quart bowl
- Flat beater, dough hook & whisk are dishwasher safe
- Mixing head spins as it rotates completely inside the bowl
- Tilt-up head lifts out of the way for easy bowl access
- Nonslip feet
To enter this contest, a blog comment below is mandatory as well as entering that into the Rafflecopter widget below.
In your blog comment, let me know, “What’s The first thing you would make with your new Stand Mixer?”. Then click the button on the Rafflecopter entry below. This will open up a bunch of extra entries to this contest that you can use if you’d like. The only mandatory one is the blog comment, but it’s worth 2 entries apiece for the other methods! (Please note all extra social media entries will be checked for completion if you are chosen as a winner. If they are found to be invalid, a new winner will be notified. (So make sure you actually click and follow or it will be invalid.) Contest is open to U.S. residents 18 years old and older and Hamilton Beach can NOT deliver to P.O. Boxes. You must have a valid U.S. mailing address.
Disclosure Notice- Hamilton Beach provided me with both a stand mixer and a hand mixer for review, but all opinions in this post were my own and I was not otherwise compensated. 🙂 (May 13, 2014)