It’s become a challenge to find a video that will go with each blog post. Why do I do it you ask? Because I’m extremely strange first of all and also because once I start something. I become rather obsessive. 😀 This my friends, is why you get a really lame video with almost every post now hehe. I like to think of it as my being your doorway to new musical tastes. Or insanity. Whichever. You know you liked The Carrot Song.
I have a thing for berries also. I wait every year for them to show up fresh at stores for a decent price and not having the taste of…well… nothing at all. Out of season berries really suck donkey toes. So when I can’t get them, I use frozen. It’s not quite the same but it’s pretty darn close and it keeps me from going into “Lack of Berry Convulsions”, otherwise knows as LOBC. Don’t ask me how you pronounce that. Just roll with it cause you love me.
I like muffins. So does
this lovely lady who happens to be one of my favoriteist (yes, that too is now a word cause I said so) people.
Muffins are yummy. They can have all sorts of bad for you things in them (not that my muffin today does; just saying) and yet you can get away with eating 12 of them because they’re muffins. Not cupcakes, not cookies, but muffins. And if you add fruit in them, you then earned the right to call yourself the healthiest cook ever. Or something. Do that rolling with me thing again.
I made muffins today. Just thought I’d throw that info out there.
Yummy muffins. With berries.
Blackberries are our friend. Ok, they’re my friend. Back off. (Yes, I’m in particularly strange form today)
These are actually fairly good for you as muffins go. A minimal amount of sugar (I’m not counting the lemonade concentrate cause I don’t want to) and a lot of berries, which means fiber and vitamins. So get to baking.
Blackberry Lemonade Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemonade concentrate, thawed (I used raspberry lemonade)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 one lb bag of frozen blackberries (keep frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 14 muffin cups (I’m guessing 14. I made 12 muffins and one mini loaf for my husband to take for lunch) or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients except for the berries.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until moistened. Fold in the berries. The batter will be thick before you add the berries; the frozen berries will make it more so.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4’s full. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. I meant to but forgot hehe
- Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for a minute or two then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.