Ok, it’s been nine days since I had the stroke. I still walk like a monster from a 1930’s horror movie when I walk (yeth mathter…what do you need, mathter? *insert insane cackle here*) and my hand has a tendency to curl into it’s own version of the hand fetal position BUT I am able to do housework more or less (ever triedÂ military crawling to hand wash wash a bathroom floor? OMG, I had to have looked hilarious!) so it’s time to get back to work here. Well, work may not be the best word since I love what I do in here and love all the people insane enough to read it 🙂
So I wanted muffins today. I printed one out ages ago from food.com for apple pie muffins. When my daughter was here this past weekend helping us get the bedroom painted (ok, I didn’t do crap myself… I have wonderfully laughable humorous visions of what would have happened had I tried to wield a paintbrush or roller… paint on the walls (in God knows what way), paint on the ceiling, paint on the kids, paint on the cats, paint up my tush when my hand spasmed -P ). As I was saying (tangent alert, tangent alert!) when they were here, my daughter saw it and said that she had tried it and it wasn’t very good. So that meant i just HAD to make it… but better. 😀 I’m ornery that way. Not sure you noticed that in me *cough cough*
I tihnk I did pretty good with them. I realized when I put them in the oven that I had forgotten to add the egg. Umm…oops? But ya know what? It didn’t matter. They were still moist and rich from the other changes I had made. So hey, less fat and cholesterol works for me and I’m sure it does for you too. These are mildly spicy (sweet spice, not hot spice) and I think next time I’ll add more cinnamon then I did this time. Also, I think raisins would be excellent in here. They’re moist with a light apple flavor and would be a great breakfast muffin, especially if you add some raisins and maybe some flax seed or wheat germ to up the nutrition. They aren’t pretty and dainty but they taste great! So let’s have it here… enjoy!
Spiced Apple Pie Muffins
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 medium apples, finely chopped (I used my food processor and didn’t peel them, just deseeded them)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional; haven’t done it yet but know it would work)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with liners. This made 12 muffins and 3 mini loaves for me so if making all muffins, I’d say it would make about 16 to 18.
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (including the brown sugar).
- Add in the oil, vanilla and buttermilk. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in the apple pieces. Again, mix just until combined.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.Â Sprinkle topping evenly over the batter. Bake at 350 for about 22 minutes or until firm on top and golden brown.
“I need to go back top work for the American people” 😛
And I really never did have sexual relations with that woman 😀