Like using muffin/cupcakes liners when making those baked goodies. Muffin pans hate me. They really do. It’s a vast right wing conspiracy! I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman!
Sorry; I was channeling the Clintons. But really… muffin pans hate me. It never fails. I make a tasty batter… I spoon into HEAVILY greased pans… they come out looking completely beautiful.
Then they stick. Did I mention that muffin pans hate me? They are evil sentient life forms that delight in my agony.
Muffin pan liners however are wonderful angelic sentient life forms that make my muffins come out easily and not in 37 pieces (we ate all those straight from the pan or as piles of muffin mush in bowls… still tasted great lol). Yes, I know that sometimes the sight of a whole muffin with no liners is prettier but muffin pans hate me. I’m not sure if I mentioned that yet.
So I bet you’re wondering what the recipe will be today right?
Ok, ok, it’s muffins. Tasty mixed berry muffins with pepitas, Meyer Lemon and dark chocolate. And I even used half whole wheat flour to up the nutrition factor ;-P These are nutty tasting with a mild crunch from the toasted pepitas, sweet and tart berries and lemon and lots of lovely antioxidants from the dark chocolate. Don’t you just love how we can eat chocolate with no guilt because of that reasoning? So give these a try. But please… use muffin liners… or let them cool for like a week or two. Then they should come out of the pan. Cause muffin pans are evil. Trust me on that. They make Chuckie look like a choir boy.
Triple Berry Muffins With Meyer Lemon, Toasted Pepitas & Dark Chocolate Chunks
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (can use less whole wheat and more all purpose if you want)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (NOT optional 😛 )
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen mixed berries
- 1 small Meyer lemon, finely ground in a food processor
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. HEAVILY grease either 24 regular size muffin cups or, as I did, 12 regular and 6 large. Or use muffin pan liners because… say it with me… muffin pans are evil.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including the pepitas and chocolate chunks.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter. Beat well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined.
- Gently fold in the berries and ground lemon. Fold into batter just until combined.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out with no crumbs on it, about 30 minutes for small muffins and 35 for large.