…You probably shouldn’t be allowed near anything? Yeah, me too. Today is certainly one of those days.
I have a three year old who has absolutely no interest in being toilet trained and since I’ve done this five times before with no problem, I can only wonder what I’m doing wrong this time. And I’m getting bored washing peed in (or worse) “big boy pants” lol.
I made some scones for all of you that SHOULD have been awesome. We’ll just call them “Omelet Scones” because they had all the ingredients for an omelet tucked into a scone. I can’t post them because they got far too brown because I was busy dealing with a recalcitrant camera. They were decent enough to serve the family but certainly not photo worthy.
As for photos, I am ready to throw my camera through a wall. As I’ve told my husband, you can’t be a successful food blogger without being able to take decent photos. You can’t take decent photos if what you have is a camera that is a very inexpensive point and shoot that refuses to focus half the time (I don’t know what’s wrong with it) so that getting details is impossible until you want details of blur :-p But unless I sell one of the children, a decent camera is NOT in my future. So for now, I look at photos of good cameras (is there something ironic about that or is that just me?) and dream because I kind of like my kids and have no immediate plans to sell them. Though if that refusing to be toilet trained thing keeps up….
Today I bring you a different sort of breakfast in a baked good. You know how yummy it is to dip your sausage into your maple syrup when you’re eating pancakes? Well, what I’ve made is a maple flavored cornbread with the sausage nicely pillowed in the cornbread. You get a flavor of all three with this and it’s delicious! I know that at least one of you I’m lookin’ at you Kiri 😛 doesn’t like cornbread but that’s ok… you have so much other delicious stuff on your blog, you’ll manage. Though this IS really good cornbread hehe.
Maple & Sausage Cornbread
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 box brown & serve sausages, cooked and drained
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 inch pan (I used a foil one… I like easy clean up :-p)
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, syrup, eggs and butter.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix JUST until combined. Lay the sausages on top of the batter, pressing down slightly.
- Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown and cooked through (a skewer inserted in should come out clean); about 25 minutes.
- Serve with butter and more syrup. YUM!!