…Hey blackberry, tell me what you see Tell me is it interesting Hey blackberry pay some attention to me Hey blackberry look at my bumblebee Hey blackberry you know he never stings And he only hums for me.
Now that you’ve read the title, I am sure you’ve figured out what this post is about, right?
You got it!!! It’s about LIVER!!!! Stuffed with Twinkies! Coated with Panko and deep fried.
Hmmm, how much do you want to bet that in a few weeks, you will be able to find a recipe for that somewhere on the web? Everything else in the world has been deep fried (I am fairly sure this is what happens to socks in the dryer. There is a secret chute and they are being taken to a 5 star restaurant somewhere and being served deep fried.), why not liver stuffed with Twinkies?
Darn it… now I want a Twinkie. Sans liver though.
Ok, before I gross everyone out completely, I should move on huh?
Quite a while ago, I printed out a recipe for Blackberry Pie Bars. I have seen the recipe in many places since then and many delicious sounding variations but the one I got came from here at Joy The Baker . They sounded utterly delicious and I love any excuse to make wholesome fruit slightly decadent hehe.
Finally…the last time I went to the store, I remembered to buy frozen blackberries. So today was the day for these. And I have to say… they’re amazing! Tender tart fruit mixed in a moist batter and topped with crumbs (I have a thing for crumbs. It’s a sickness.). You get a little bite of fruit, a bite of cake and some yummy crumbs (did I mention that crumb sickness thing?) in every bite. These are a little taste of Summer in the middle of Winter. The only thing I think I would do differently next time would be to take about another half cup of the crumbs and use them on top. The crust was a bit thick for my tastes and the topping a bit sparse.
So as I have said before, get to baking. You can thank me later. preferably with chocolate. Or Twinkies. No liver please.
Blackberry Pie Bars
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon each of vanilla extract and almond extract
- juice and zest from one small lemon
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen blackberries, thawed and drained well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut the butter into chunks and cut it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups. Pat the rest of the crumb mixture into a greased 13×9 inch pan.
- Bake for about ten minutes or until the edges have begun to get light brown. Set aside to cool for at least ten minutes.
- In another large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the sugar, sour cream, vanilla and almond extracts, lemon juice and zest. Gently fold in the drained blackberries. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top of the filling.
- Pour onto the cooled crust and bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until it is light golden brown.
- Let this cool for about an hour. I didn’t listen to those instructions at first and what I got out of the pan was a goopy, albeit tasty as all heck, mess. LET IT COOL!
- Eat. Thank me. Thank Joy The Baker. Thank God for Blackberries hehe